- 350ml red lentils
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 2 cardamom pods
- 60ml vegetable oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 green chilli, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped and crushed
- 1 tsp medium curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 350ml water
- Handful of coriander herb, roughly chopped
Place onions, cinnamon, cardamom and oil in saucepan and fry until onions are soft.
Add tomatoes, chilli and rest of spices and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add drained red lentils plus the water and salt. Simmer on low heat until soft and mushy, taking 30 - 40 minutes. Add more water if needed. You may purée if you want, but they should be mushy enough.
Before serving, add the chopped coriander (cilantro).