Barley Grass is the young grass of the barley plant, Hordeum vulgare L.. Barley grows throughout the fertile crescent throughout Europe and Western Asia.
Barley grass is a natural source of vitamins and minerals (a few of which are antioxidants) including:
For your health, some manufacturers suggest taking 10 - 15 g per 200 ml serving of fruit juice or smoothies every day. 
Key Nutritional Messages For Barley Grass
- Barley Grass is high in fibre. High fibre foods help you to feel fuller for longer, so you are less inclined to over-eat. You should aim for at least 18 g of [[Fibre|fibre] every day. Barley grass contributes to your recommended daily fibre intake, with 10 g of Barley Grass providing 4.7 g of fibre.
- Vitamins B2 and B6, magnesium and iron in barley grass contribute to the reduction of tiredness and fatigue.
- Calcium in barley grass helps with your digestive enzymes, and magnesium with normal energy-yielding metabolism and protein synthesis.
- Zinc helps with carbohydrate metabolism, acid-base metabolism and metabolism of fatty acids; vitamin B,Sub>6</sub> contributes to normal protein and glycogen metabolism, and iron with good oxygen transport in the body.
- Barley grass is a natural source of antioxidants including vitamins B2 and E, which both contribute to the protection of cells from oxidative stress.
- [[Vitamin B1|Vitamins B1, B2, B6, magnesium and zinc contribute to normal psychological function. Iron and zinc help with cognitive function and calcium with good neurotransmission in the brain.
- Vitamins B1, B,sub>2</sub>, B3 and B6, together with magnesium, contribute to the normal function of the nervous system. Zinc and iron help with your immune system and vitamin B6 contributes to the regulation of hormonal activity.
- Vitamins B2 and B6 contribute to the maintenance of normal red blood cells, while iron helps with the formation of red blood cells and haemoglobin and calcium in normal blood clotting.
Barley Grass should not be taken instead of a healthy lifestyle and balanced diet including lots of exercise and (amongst others) fruit juice, smoothies, milkshakes, soups, dips, salad dressings and pasta sauces.
Using Barley Grass
- 10g - 15g (1 - 3 tsp) daily. Mix with water, juice or into smoothies.
- Naturya (undated) Barley Grass Powder . Accessed 6 November 2015.